11 Essential Documents When Selling Your House in the UK

11 Essential Documents When Selling Your House in the UK

So, you’ve decided to sell your property and move house! It’s now time to gather together all the important paperwork relating to your property.

If you’re organised you can reach for those handy files, now. But if not, here’s a rundown of the documents you need to have at the ready:


1) Proof of I.D.


You’ll need proof of I.D. including your photo I.D. and your registered home address. A utility bill or a bank statement should be enough to prove your address. As you’d expect, your passport or driving license is acceptable proof of appearance.


What If I Don’t Have a Photo ID?


If you don’t have a photo ID then apply for a driver’s license.

If you have a paper license only and want to apply for a new photo card version this can take more than 3 weeks at the time of writing.

If you are applying for your first provisional license it should arrive within one week if applying online. You will need another form of I.D such as your passport or birth certificate and other documents may be required.


2) Management Information Pack


Essential when you want to sell quickly, the management information pack contains key information for the buyer. The pack can take a few weeks to arrive, so purchase it as soon as possible.

Get these documents via a solicitor, or through the freeholder or your managing agent. Watsons can provide you with advice about leasehold property www.watsons-property.co.uk/block-estate-management.


3) Property Title Deeds


You can, in fact, sell your property without the title deeds. But it can be trickier as you will need to find another way of proving ownership.

In most cases, your title deeds will be stored electronically and held by either a solicitor or a conveyancing firm. Or, they may reside with your mortgage provider.

It’s also possible that HM Land Registry has a scanned copy of the deeds. You can use the Government service to find out if the property is registered and to request a copy of the deeds.


4) Leasehold or Shared Freehold Documents


If the property you are selling is a lease, you’ll need the lease document.

If it’s a shared freehold then the share certificate is the one you are looking for.


5) Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)


Energy performance certificates are needed when homes are built, sold, or rented. The certificate gives you an energy efficiency rating for your property from most efficient (A) to least (G).

Government guidance states that “You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent.”

If you can’t find yours you’ll need to find an accredited assessor to visit the property and produce a new certificate. The government has provided a free service to find an assessor in England, Wales, or Northern Ireland.

Watsons can provide you with advice about preparing your property for sale www.watsons-property.co.uk/residential-sales


6) TA10 Fittings and Contents Form


A TA10 allows you as the seller to specify what’s included and excluded from the sale price.

The form covers all manner of internal and external items including boilers and heating, doors and windows, electrical sockets, alarms, kitchen appliances, bathroom fittings, carpets, curtains, and even plants, trees, and shrubs.

Sometimes, seemingly mundane or trivial items can have sentimental value, and it might be in your interest to relocate plants, or shrubs from the garden, for example.


Google ‘TA10 form’ for an example form.



7) FENSA Certificates for Windows and Doors


A FENSA certificate is proof that windows and doors were fitted by an installer that complies with Building Regulations and is a legal requirement.

If you can’t find or don’t have your FENSA certificate it’s possible to apply for a ‘Retrospective Building Regulation Compliance Certificate’

Watsons can provide you with advice about preparing your property for a home survey www.watsons-property.co.uk/valuation-survey


8) TA6 Property Information Form


More comprehensive and detailed than a TA10, the TA6 requires that you collate important information for the prospective seller across fourteen different categories.

From boundaries to insurance, and environmental matters you will need to allocate a decent amount of time to get everything together and fill in the form.


Google ‘TA6 form’ for an example form.


9) Property Extensions or Alterations


If you’ve added an extension or made alterations to the property you may have documentation that confirms the work complies with building regulations or that planning permission was granted.


Not all changes require official approvals and paperwork but make sure you know either way and have the right documentation or know how to get it. Confusion and delays around building work could undermine confidence in the process and derail your sale.


If selling your property is not an immediate option, you could consider becoming a landlord. Watsons can provide you with advice about preparing your property to let. www.watsons-property.co.uk/lettings


10) Electrical Certificates


You will need all certificates relating to electrical work around your property.

For example, any electrical rewiring or upgrading.

Your electrician should be able to supply the compliance certificate or electrical safety certificate so that you can hand it to the property’s next owners.


11) Boiler Replacement


Have you, or a previous owner replaced the property’s boiler?

If so, you will need paperwork to show that it was installed, safely and by a registered installer. You should also be able to provide an up-to-date gas safety certificate to prove regular servicing has taken place.

Watsons Property

Related posts

Is The Cost-of-Living Crisis Marking The End of The Booming Norwich Property Market?

Will the cost-of-living crisis mark the end of the booming Norwich property market ? In this article I discuss what the effects of rising food, gas and electric prices will (and won’t) have on the Norwich property market and Norwich house prices.

Continue reading
by Watsons Property

What is a Virtual Valuation?

As you know, the valuation of your property is an essential part of selling or letting the...

Continue reading
by Mark Francis Pearce

The Benefits of Selling Your House at Auction

There are some serious benefits to selling your home via an auction. Not everyone wants to use this...

Continue reading
by Mark Francis Pearce
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap