Welcome to Mark Finlay, Our New Head of Finance
Mark, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
The majority of my career has been spent in the Motor Retail sector, mainly working for PLC companies. I’m originally from Essex but moved to Norwich when I met my wife in 2007.
How did you prepare for a career in Finance?
For my first role out of School I applied for a Secretarial position but failed miserably with the Touch-Typing test. However, they liked my personality and invited me back for an Accounts Junior role, and that’s how I started my career in Finance. I later went on to complete my AAT qualification, and have recently become a fellow member.
What are your key responsibilities at Watsons?
- To oversee the Client Finance team, and ensure we offer a friendly, concise and welcoming service to leaseholders served by our Block & Estate management team.
- Introduce new controls, and processes to increase departmental efficiencies, including a complete overhaul of the current Block & Estate Management EIT systems.
- Offer sound financial advice to key stakeholders within the Business.
- To assist improvement of profitability throughout the business, via increased revenue streams and broader overview of expenses
- Implement new purchase order process.
What drew you to work in the property industry?
I currently own a second property which I rent out, and through my knowledge of the industry, I was drawn into the exciting prospect of working Watsons.
How have you found settling into Watsons?
It’s been fantastic! I have an amazing team and have found everyone within the business to be warm and welcoming.
What is your plan within your role at Watsons?
With my PLC background, I hope to install more robust financial policies & procedures within the business. I also hope to help grow individuals within my team, so that they can progress within the business in the future.
What advise would you give anyone looking to work in finance?
For those of you looking to pursue a career in finance, I would personally advise that you study hard and ensure you get your professional qualifications. These combined with the right experience will open lots of doors for you in the future.
If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be?
“Ordinary person, interesting journey.”
If you could be a superhero, what power would you possess?
The power to unite people.