Party Wall Matters

Watsons provide services covering all Party Wall Matters, from reviewing construction plans and structural calculations, preparing a schedule of conditions, serving Notices that you intend to carry out works, and serving Party Wall Awards. If you have received a Party Wall Notice, feel free to contact us. Our Surveyors will provide you with an initial consultation and can assist you further in responding and creating a Party Wall Award.

You can rest assured that Watsons has the knowledge and experience to give you the best advice, and serve the required notice or award.

At Watsons we strive to provide the most efficient service to facilitate
an agreement between property owners.


What is a Party Wall?

The main types of party walls are:

  • A wall that stands on the lands of 2 (or more) owners and forms part of a building – this wall can be part of one building only or separate buildings belonging to different owners.
  • A wall that stands on the lands of 2 owners but does not form part of a building, such as a garden wall but not including timber fences.
  • A wall that is on one owner’s land but is used by 2 (or more) owners to separate their buildings.
  • The Act also uses the expression ‘party structure’. This could be a wall or floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings in different ownership, such as in flats.

Recognise How the Act Applies to You

We understand that many people are unfamiliar with the Party Wall Act and will not fully understand how it applies to them. Party Wall Matters can become complex and costly, especially in instances where property owners do not agree with a served notice. Anyone serving a notice of works, must supply sufficient information upfront to adjoining owner(s) to keep any costs low. Depending on whether you are a Building Owner (carrying out the works) or an Adjoining Owner (neighbour affected by the works), you will be affected in different ways, which are discussed below.

Types of work covered under the Party Wall Act:

  • Excavations for Rear extensions where there are neighbouring properties within 3 meters.
  • Excavation for Basement works.
  • Underpinning foundations.
  • Building near the Boundary Line.
  • Working on the Party Wall e.g. Loft conversion or Boundary Walls.

What is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996?

The Party Wall Act provides a framework for preventing or resolving disputes in relation to party walls, party structures, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.
Anyone intending to carry out work of the kinds described in the Act must give Adjoining Owners notice of their intentions.

What does the Act cover?

  • Works that are going to be carried out directly to an existing party wall or party structure.
  • New building at or astride the boundary line between neighbouring properties.
  • Excavation within 3 or 6 metres of a neighbouring building or structure, depending on the depth of the hole or proposed foundations.
Please be aware, work may fall within more than one of the above categories and involve different types of buildings and structures for example, houses, garages and office buildings.
If you start work without serving a notice, an adjoining owner can seek to stop the work through a court injunction or seek other legal redress.


For more information, please contact your Local Chartered Surveyor, email us on:, or complete the form below:

Contact Us - Party Wall Matters

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap